Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue79 View Post
I think this is a great thread with good insight. I am in a similar-ish boat. I live in Aspen Colorado currently, and if I were to move anywhere it would be back to Colorado Springs where my folks live. I sold my E46 ZHP when I found out I was moving to Aspen and currently just driving my 1996 Supercharged Land Cruiser.

I really don't "need" another car right now, but with spring/summer coming soon and my Land Cruiser coming up on 300,000 miles, I am ready to get a daily for the summer lined up.

This thread is surprising me with how many people are talking about the lack of power out of the S65 at elevation. Heck I am coming from a Land Cruiser and an old 330i. But also I was never going for straight line performance, for me it was always about driver engagement and the ZHP totally nailed that.

I am ready to get something a little newer though, I have owned a lot of classic cars.

The mind battle I have been having lately is the 340xi with the manual, or a E90. 340xi of course has the 4wd benefit which is pretty important up here, and the B58 kicks butt. My mom has the M40i X3 and that car goes like a bat out of hell. HOWEVER, if the 340xi handles anything like my moms M40i, I want nothing to do with it. The electric steering in that car has to be one of the worst steering cars I have ever experienced.

All the threads I have read comparing the 340xi to the E90, it seems that no matter what people do the 340xi will never have great handling characteristics.

Then of course, the E90. Seems like everyone who has one or has driven one treats it like their own [...]
Which E90, the 335xi? I was a diehard E9x and E8x guy being a 128i 6MT owner who also enjoyed the RWD 328i.

After driving two 335xi N55’s and some F series chassis though I can honestly say do NOT get the E90 in AWD. The steering is awful and heavy and the N55 has terrible throttle response.

I preferred the 340xi w/ B58 I drove in every way (except price!). Even with the EPS steering the way it is weighted vs the 335xi overcomes any advantage one thinks a hydraulic rack has.
Appreciate 0