View Single Post
      02-11-2023, 12:44 AM   #42
Blue79
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 ZHP ; 1996 Land Cruiser

I think this is a great thread with good insight. I am in a similar-ish boat. I live in Aspen Colorado currently, and if I were to move anywhere it would be back to Colorado Springs where my folks live. I sold my E46 ZHP when I found out I was moving to Aspen and currently just driving my 1996 Supercharged Land Cruiser.

I really don't "need" another car right now, but with spring/summer coming soon and my Land Cruiser coming up on 300,000 miles, I am ready to get a daily for the summer lined up.

This thread is surprising me with how many people are talking about the lack of power out of the S65 at elevation. Heck I am coming from a Land Cruiser and an old 330i. But also I was never going for straight line performance, for me it was always about driver engagement and the ZHP totally nailed that.

I am ready to get something a little newer though, I have owned a lot of classic cars.

The mind battle I have been having lately is the 340xi with the manual, or a E90. 340xi of course has the 4wd benefit which is pretty important up here, and the B58 kicks butt. My mom has the M40i X3 and that car goes like a bat out of hell. HOWEVER, if the 340xi handles anything like my moms M40i, I want nothing to do with it. The electric steering in that car has to be one of the worst steering cars I have ever experienced.

All the threads I have read comparing the 340xi to the E90, it seems that no matter what people do the 340xi will never have great handling characteristics.

Then of course, the E90. Seems like everyone who has one or has driven one treats it like their own child. A little needy, but nothing too out of control. But I have heard the debate with the S65 having nothing to offer down low. In fact, the guy who bought my ZHP also has a E46 M3 and and E90 and even he was saying the ZHP felt zipper around town then both of them.

I just have a tough time wrapping my head around that but I guess enough people say it that it must really feel lacking down low.

Again I am not looking for a straight performance car, and from an depreciation perspective, I have a tough time believing a E90 M3 will ever be going for much less then what they are right now. But also, doing a nationwide search a 340xi with a 6 speed, they can be had for under 25k, and with the B58 I am not sure how far that will drop either.

Anyways just wanted to share my mind battle and I really appreciate everyone who is contributing to this thread with real experience. Being in Aspen it has been hard to get out of the valley and find either car to drive personally, so I have just been reading way too much online.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0