rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I'll offer some feedback.

Firstly, I admire the journey and you're commitment to improve.

Most of the feedback that I've seen offered to you but that IMO you've been somewhat dismissive of is along the lines of the following:

4 way suspensions are incredibly difficult to tune, so you need to work on reducing the variability of the driver before you will be able to truly see the impact of changes to the suspension.

To this end, based on your car experience and the videos that you've posted you still need better instruction to clean up your lines. I don't have any time at NYST but you and I have the same number of track days at LRP. I believe your car is supercharged. I drive an E46 M3 making 330 rwhp. My very first session I was at 1:00 and was at 56.85 by my 5th session. I think you were in the 1:04 to 1:06 range. What's the difference - coaching and consistency (and tires!).

Finally, there are no 40 mph turns - there may be turns YOU take at 40 mph - the rest of us just call them slow turns, but don't set a limit on how fast to take them. One thing my coached help me to understand on slow turns is that yes, you can usually take them quicker, but it is often more important to get the car placed properly in these slow speed turns so that you can get better exit speeds by being able to get to throttle sooner. Think left hander at LRP. Who really cares how fast you take this corner as long as you can be lined up on the left side at end of inside curbing and be able to go to 100% throttle on the transition between it and the right hander to no name straight. In summary, car placement in slow corners is the most important element.

I will agree with you that all instruction is not helpful and maybe that's why you're more inclined to self experiment. But I would say that any competent advanced driver (and there are a few on this forum) can easily review video with you and offer helpful input. A good coach does even more.

Not many of us know NYST, so can't help you with specifics, but my cursory review of your videos showed you missing apexes and coasting in many places. I can give you a very detailed assessment of your LRP video if you want since many of the concepts translate from track to track.
Thank you very much, Moose, for your feedback.

I am installing the BK harness bar this week and that will give me a place to mount the GoPro.

My running coach in high school told me once that "if you want to make better lap times, you will need to run faster.

Because my tendency to seek advice, I get a lot of suggestions that I found not helpful. But I assure you that I take very seriously suggestions that make me a better driver and that lead to a faster lap time.

I am looking forward to post videos and hear suggestions.

About my day at LRP, I was on cheap road tires from Tire Rack and run three sessions with Track Night organization. The front were 2013 Kumho and the rear were 2014 Yoko. I had no interest in going any faster that I was going and still had a great time. Having said that your times were very impressive.
Appreciate 1