View Single Post
      08-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #67
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictrainer View Post
I've asked myself very similar question 100 times....997.1 turbo (75K) or brand new F80. I still don't know the answer, but my conclusion is that I would do it just to switch it up. I personally don't believe the turbo 911 is much faster, if any, but that doesn't matter to me because both cars are fast enough anyway. The M3 is a fun to drive brute, and the turbo is fun to drive in its own right because of how light it is or feels. With all that said at this point it is a better value proposition to buy the turbo because of a flattened depreciation curve. Finally I would not buy a non turbo 997, I believe it will leave you wanting more, it will feel old and slow, and I don't believe in a "charming" way. In your situation let me steer you towards an S2000 an open a whole new can of worms...
The answer for the op and erictrainer is the same...

If you are going to drive it everyday, get the M2, M3, or M4 (new or gently used).

If its going to be an extra car, get the 997 as they are likely done depreciating (I'm guessing we will see prices drop with the next notable stock market and/or housing market correction). Mileage kills Porsches on resale, so if you are putting on 10k+ mi a year, you will still see depreciation.

FYI, I had a 997.2 base 6-speed as a weekend car, and decided to sell it and get a 2018 M2 to daily drive for the same money. While the 997.2 had a level of specialness and I loved the classic 911 look, I don't think the M2 is any worse of a car. The M2 is ~10% or 300lbs heavier but it has 20hp and 55 ft/lb more and my butt dyno says the M2 is faster in most situations. The M2 hides its weight well. The only things I miss from driving the 911 are nimbleness (largely due to shorter wheelbase) and the feeling of how planted the rear is when turning/accelerating. In my opinion, the M2 is 95% of the driving experience in a newer more daily drivable car.

Last edited by Blurbo311; 08-14-2018 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0