CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by areyouamac View Post

i.e... 89k miles road bearing failures = new engine.
I've never really understood the logic on this one. Nothing against areyoumac in particular. Seems a lot of people feel this way.

Considering depreciation is slowing on these cars, it's the last 2 door M3, it's the only V8 M3, it's the last NA M car, there's a chance it could hold or even increase in value (I'm not putting any eggs in that basket, but it's surely a possibility, especially for special colors or configurations).

Quite frankly, I wouldn't want an e30, e36, or e46 that had an engine replaced.

Seems like a weird gamble. You're making $930 payments- clearly you'd want to protect the "investment" — why not do rod bearings for $1500. Just a bit more than your car payment.

Does anyone know of people are okay with buying M3s that have had engines replaced? Or are buyers generally apprehensive?

If someone is in the market for a $15k M3 as a track car, or just desperate for an M3, regardless of mileage or title, whatever on the engine replacement. But if someone is looking to add a perfect low mile $35k+ M3 to their garage, I'd imagine you'd be hard-pressed to sell them a car without the engine it rolled off the line with.

Just my opinion. "Eh, I'll let the engine blow and get it replaced" just seems like a bizarre, albeit common enough, approach to E9x ownership.
Lol yeah letting the engine blow is extremely nearsighted
Appreciate 0