Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisca455 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsilverjohnson View Post
It's not just BMW (although BMW is better than most at making it more difficult than needed). When I changed rotors on my S2000, I broke 2 "impact rated" tips before I just drilled the head out. After I removed the rotors I could turn the threaded stub out with my fingers! The replacements definitely went in with never-seize, especially under the heads.
I had the exact same experience.
Carefully, gently, drilled (5/16" drill) the head until it juuuust popped of, which left enough meat to grab onto to get the threaded piece out with no drama.
That's definitely not your first time drilling out a fastener. Any aviation/machine shop experience?
Yes.
After barely graduating High School ('79), one of my friends got me a job at a local manufacturing company named DiscoJet (later split into two entities Moller Corp/Moller International).
The company manufactured Exducers and SuperTrapp mufflers, but the owner's pet project was a "Flying Car".
I did lots of sheet metal and tube fabrication, learned to TIG aluminum, steel, stainless and Inconel.
Became an Apprentice machinist.
Was later hired away by a pair of former co-workers that started a subsea robotics company (Schilling Robotics), where I continued machining and added Titanium to my welding skills."
Eventually they turned me into a Mechanical Engineer, but I still get to machine and weld things on occasion.

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 2
Hagasan41266.00
Ajolives922.00