Assistant to the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_K View Post
SYT_Shadow - Just curious if you even ran the R888Rs last year? First track day for me is coming up and debating between another set of NT01s or trying out R888Rs, any advice is greatly appreciated!
I did and actually ran them again at the Glen this year. Still the same set.

If you were nearby I'd give you what remains in my set for free. That is how much I dislike them.

I ran lower pressures as people suggested and the car behaves predictably, but it's still way down on grip. After two days I swapped to RE71s that are almost completely bald, leftovers from last year, and instantly picked up a couple seconds.

I am disappointed to say the least. I don't know if there's room in the market for a tire that is:
-Slow
-Extremely loud at highway speeds. Worse than NT01
-Terrible water evacuation
-Really hard sidewalls

I'm back at the RE71 for driving to-from the track and backup track tires and running BFG R1 as the main track tire now

The NT01 is loud, sucks in water, has really hard sidewalls but at least it's sticky, doesn't overheat easily and is extremely cheap.

I'm never buying a set of R888R again. If anyone wants mine you can have them for free
Great info, thank you sharing. I am too very disappointed to hear these results. Was hoping that since this was a newer tire it would be a better fit for the E9x platform, especially considering the extra weight of our cars. Maybe the stiffer sidewall was for weight but it sounds like the compound just doesn't get up to the right temp or adhesiveness.

At least my decision is easier now, thanks again for the detailed info!