View Single Post
      07-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #4
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
My experience this weekend made we quite glad to have a trailer to transport my car to and from the track. However, I hadn't counted on an inability to drive on to/off of the trailer. Luckily my buddy had a portable winch which we were able to MacGyver so I didn't need to plead for labor at the end of a brutally hot two-day track event.

Any one have a recommendation for a good portable winch? And would it need to be rated for the weight of the car or is it not that exact?

Off topic, but my issue was minor compared to the young man who had a bad off and brutally swiped the tire barrier with his "new" Cayman GT4. Passenger side was just plain mangled. Felt bad for him.

Thanks,

SJ
Superwinch, Warn, Smittybuilt. Superwinch has one that is set up in a tool box that is pretty plug & play. Any winch with enough capacity can typically be made to work though depending on how you secure it to the trailer so lots of good options out there. Would recommend a synthetic rope in place of the steel cable. Personally would look for a minimum of 4k lbs but what you are needing to cover is the rolling resistance.

A mount using a trailer receiver can be fabbed up pretty easily and then be a very quick hook up if you are not wanting it to be permanently mounted.

You can also use a come along if not wanting to go all out on a winch. Not as much fun but can be a workable solution.
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack326.00