Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
thats a pretty hefty amount of weight.

i wonder how much weight loss would need to take place to replace the supercharger... i think you've said its about 100lbs? there has to be an eclipse somewhere where you can trade better braking and speed through corners for power during acceleration.
not that there is anything wrong with running a supercharger.
Getting rid of the heater/AC core and the headlights would get you most of the way to offsetting the supercharger weight. Aftermarket suspension, BBK and wheels are lighter than stock. That would probably get you the rest of the way to offsetting the supercharger weight. I think I'm there once the headlight blanks go in.

Your question of power versus weight is a classic battle. And different tracks reward different things. Chuckwalla, being a momentum track, rewards lightness. But I have COTA on the brain right now, and COTA rewards power. Lightness is not enough there. In general, being light is great. And if you can add power to a light car, then you're in the golden zone. That's what all the E36 guys are doing (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!!!!)---taking a sub-2500lbs car and then swapping in a bigger engine. Voila! Magic combo. Put some aero and sticky tires and that's a faster car than mine.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11586.00