11-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post
Hi all.

long time bmw guy and love my e90 m3. had it for 15 mos now and love it. when driving aggressive, the engine is phenominal. however i can never seem to drive the car "normal" since you need to rev the motor 4k+ since that's when it comes alive.

driving 550i and 335i the other day, i have to admit, it was refreshing to have all that smooth power down low. yes, i know, its not the visceral experience the m3 offers on top end, however it was nice nonetheless.

anybody else feeling this way?
You have low down torque...more than the others you mention at over 2,500 rpms. Torque is measured at the ground after engine torque has been multiplied by the gearbox gears, rear diff, and rear wheel. You also have a car via the LSD which assures the power is transmitted to the road far more efficiently, and a clutch that can handle the power. Bottom line is use a lower gear and drive the car right, or get the 335i so you can drive semi-spirited with minimal effort. Remember what the turbos provide for at low rpms are lost at higher rpms when engine torque drops like a brick (starting at 5,000 rpms to redline).

Does anyone make a rear diff ratio change for the E9X M3 yet? For sure the E46 M3s are geared too tall which helps emissions and fuel economy, but makes for less inspired grunt. Switching to a 3.91 rear diff from the 3.62 is the perfect choice without going overboard and trading grunt for traction. The rear diff swap is good for a half-second improvement in 0-62. And roll on acceleration and throttle response is improved dramatically. That's how important gearing is.
Appreciate 0