08-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #11
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo8765 View Post
3.62 is an awesome upgrade and is the exact FD ratio the car should've come with from the factory. You will be very pleased with it. Throttle response is unbelievable, and useful acceleration can now be produced below 3000 rpm in second and third gears. If you read any complaints about the S65, of which there are very few, it's likely related to a relative deficit of "low end" torque during daily non-spirited driving. The 3.62 cures this.

My friend ordered his 3.62 from diffsonline and had the diff installed at local shop. A couple thousand miles later his average MPG is unchanged. This is due to the fact the he now used 7th gear in town in situations in which it was previously too tall. IF you do most of your miles cruising on the hwy, then you will likely see a decrease in fuel economy. If, however, you do most of your miles cruising on the hwy, I'm not sure why your driving a V8 M3.

How many of those who attempt to discount the benefit of the 3.62 have actually driven a car equiped with this FD ratio? I have and it's awesome.
I think every owner of the 3.62 FD ratio tends to agree with your opinion.

Really depends on what is important to you - I have no doubt that the car feels quite different in nature to drive with the 3.62 FD, but the reality is that the performance gains are negligible if you are looking at street/drag/track racing. So if you are looking to spend your money wisely, then I don't think this upgrade is necessary. Sure the car will be more responsive in gear, so as a daily driver it will feel much better. Given most people use the M3 as a daily driver 95% of the time, then perhaps this is a worthwhile upgrade, purely for the difference in how the car feels.

I don't agree it should have come with 3.62 from the factory, my personal opinion is that it should have come with 3.45 from the factory.
Appreciate 0