Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
Look up the AMMO NYC regiment. I've used it for years and it works incredibly well. Ceramic coatings don't allow the paint to flex like it should and can cause damage down the road.

Car is almost 9 years old.
That is the first I have heard of ceramic coatings have a negative impact on your paint
The science behind it is simply that metal, and by extension paint, is flexible. They expand with temperature change. Ceramic coatings are stiff and adhere to the paint, making the paint lose some of its flexibility, and causing it to crack. They also don't last nearly as long as stated.

It's all from Larry on AMMO NYC, if you'd like to see him explain it.
While I agree with this and it is largely true, the real world translation is negligible. Ceramic is very similar to your existing clear coat. There will inevitably be debate about the best paint protection but you should be okay with a ceramic.

I've had ceramic on my car for about 1.5 years with no issues but it's largely garage kept and not driven much in bad weather.

I believe ceramic isn't necessarily ideal if you're parking outside as water spotting can be more of an issue - but nonetheless no protection will prevent your car from getting water spots if you leave it outside and it's not completely wrapped with a Paint Protection Film like Xpel or Suntec.
Appreciate 0