View Single Post
      11-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #19
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter2090 View Post
The E9X is so much more car for the money and can be much more reliable, you can do bearings and actuators for preventative maintenance, and there's not much more you need (Couple other low cost issues might arise but that's normal).

As for the E46, it may need: Vanos rebuild, valve adjustment, sub-frame repair, rod bearings, there's some rear control arm that dies as well. Also I've been reading that some cars are suffering from head gasket issues as well (this might be more of a Europe issue from reading about it some more). They also have lots of little cosmetic issues as well, like the headliners sagging, a-b pillars and rust issues.

This

SOOO much more reliable.

Over on M3Post I have like 6 DIY's addressing stuff on the E46M... I had one for 100k, I still like them, but at equal price to an E9X never ever ever

The biggest problem is the E36 and E46 has a chassis made out of paper mache and bubble gum.
Everyone whines about the extra weight of the E9X but I will take 100lb more every day of the week and twice on sunday if it is a solid vehicle, which is the case on the E9X

BMW didn't take chassis seriously until the E9X generation. The front and rear subframes of the E9X are little works of art... the E46 one seems like an afterthought, it isn't surprising that people end up ripping the entire thing off the car.
Even from the E9X to the F8X you can see significant improvements in the front end's reinforcements, however, as the E9X doesn't have any issues it isn't such a big deal.

The other day BMW released some pics of the front end reinforcements on their next gen M cars and holy shit! WOW!
http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1910-...-x6-m#photo-02

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 11-11-2019 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 4