11-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCE90 View Post
Hi all,

I'm sure this comparison has been beaten to death on this forum, but I wanted to get opinions on my particular situation. So I have been doing HPDE's with the porsche club (My dad is a member) for the past 4 years or so in my 335i. No more than 3 events a year and that seems like an acceptable amount to continue to progress while not breaking the bank. So my current setup is as follows:

08' 335i E90 6spd 122k miles, factory oil cooler, K&W v2 coilovers, M3 front control arms, Poly sway bar and rear subframe bushings, ST sport pads, RBF 600, stock 18's, TOYO r888r's, ECS lightweight aluminum trailing arms, BMS dual cone intake, Dinan axle back exhaust.

TOYO r888r's, ST sport pads, RBF 600, all Poly bushings, and Dinan axle back were all added since my last event in the spring of 2018 at carolina motorsports park where I was experiencing quite a bit of brake fade on my street pads and standard DOT 4 fluid. I think it is worth mentioning that I was also on nankang all season tires for all of my HPDE's in this car before getting r888r's a month ago.

We are heading to VIR next weekend and since buying this car about 4 years ago I have steadily been watching the price of e90/92 m3's drop. 4 years ago when searching I didn't view splurging for an M3 as a realistic option. What I would be considering is selling my 335i and looking for a 6MT m3 that I could buy for the same purpose. I'm thinking/hoping for 10-15k on top of what I get for my car. The reason I am considering this is up to this point I have believed that I have been improving the performance of my car as my experience improved at an equal if not modification heavy rate.

I believe however that I have reached a point where further modifications ie. BBK, lsd, M3 steering rack, or aftermarket wheels will all be big money items and still not get me on par with m3 performance. So realistically all I would do to my car if I kept it is get some nice rotors when mine wear out and perhaps braided lines, and continue to maintain it. I say this knowing that any car I have ever owned has spent very little time in stock form so take this statement with a grain of salt. Just wanted to get some opinions on what I should do. Thanks alot in advance.

PS. Another important factor is that my dad has a 996 turbo and while he does drive very cautiously in the earlier sessions allowing me to get point byes by the later sessions on Sundays he is too much for me to handle. I know the m3 would help with that issue.
I didn't read your whole post but coming from a 335i that I tracked I will say the M3 is a completely different car and about 100x easier to drive.

My 335i was modded very similarly to yours.