11-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #94
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Two main points:

No 'v3' style mounting. So the rotor is mounted to the hat using little bolts/nuts/spacers which take quite a while to swap. Use that, then swap a rotor that uses the 'v3' architecture like the PFC Z54 kit and it's night and day.
For the V3 I need a screwdriver and maybe 10 minutes. For the regular rotor style... you'd better have a chair.

The casting. The AP rotor uses a rough casting on the outer and inner surfaces of the vanes. The PFC has machined surfaces.

We'll see about durability as well. I have pretty good data in terms of pad consumption, taper wear and rotor wear for the PFC, I'm looking forward to seeing how AP handles itself.
So far only 1 set of pads on the AP but the taper wear was significant. Will give the kit the benefit of the doubt and see what happens with the second set of pads.

I agree that the V3 mounting style is slick. However, that isn't something that I put much weight on considering rotor replacement is relatively infrequent. Durability, price and performance (plus weight) are far more important to me. You are in a unique position to directly compare those aspects. I'll be curious to see your long term findings. PFC definitely has the race pedigree and the fact that Porsche is using them on their cup cars is a huge testimony. I would argue that AP Racing has even more race pedigree and certainly more history given they have been around for a longer time frame. I would gladly run PFC on my car. My only gripe is the fact that they don't provide caliper diagrams (hard to check wheel fitment without that).
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00