Thread: "Ashy Larry"...
View Single Post
      01-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
PutterMcGavin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 M5, '08 E61 535xi

"Ashy Larry"...

...now that I have your attention, that might be the new name of my M.

Has anyone seen this type of residue/corrosion/"ashy'ness" on the front of their blocks? At first I thought there was a coolant leak spraying in the bay (been there done that with an E39...) but there isn't any other residue anywhere and no history of coolant problems (car only has 25k miles).

I'm beginning to think it might be salt air related. I do live near the coast but I wouldn't think after just a couple months there would be any corrosion already. Anyone else have this? Anything I can possibly cover these parts (front part of both blocks) with? I think they're a different treated metal than anything else in the engine bay. For lack of a better analogy, can I "lotion" them up with something?

Finally, should I be worried about the same corrosion on the INSIDE of these parts? Outside I can live with but if stuff is happening inside I'd be worried...

Also FYI the engine bay is incredibly well kept. I clean it EVERY time I clean the car each weekend. The car has never been run on salted roads, etc.

Looking under intake elbow to driver's side of front of the block.