View Single Post
      02-09-2015, 10:40 PM   #16
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman View Post
Update: no trouble with the daytime running lights with RIV or Alberta inspection.

Extra info regarding the import for those that might be interested:

Went to bond shed (Canada Customs warehouse in Calgary were US goods arrive, cars were put in the warehouse);
Picked up bond shed paperwork, went to main Customs Office elsewhere in Calgary;
Paid GST and Duty on CAD value less 10k (as I have owned the vehicle for a while);
Paid RIV fees (just over $200), went and retrieved vehicles (also imported wife's Honda);
Canadian tire completed inspection, they faxed passed certificate to RIV (paid $16 Alberta tire recycling fees):
Went to Alberta registries, paid $10, this gives you the green light to go get the Alberta inspection completed;
Alberta inspection $100 to $200 depending where you go. I paid $100;
Passed, took passed certificate back to Alberta Registries;
Was then able to get Alberta plates ($72.45)
Passed with flying colors!
RIV sticker arrived today; affixes to door pillar stating vehicle is Canadian Certified.
One minor hiccup - recall clearance note must be less than 30 days old. Had to get a refreshed note from BMW.
Take all your paperwork, ID, etc. to all appointments, you never know exactly what they'll need to see!
I might end up importing the car when I go back to Ottawa. I just have concern on the tax/duties you have to pay when bringing the car to Canada. How much did this cost you exactly?

Thanks !
Appreciate 0