View Single Post
      02-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #21
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The 04/08 (actually, it applies to some 03/08 as well) production date is from the introduction of the GSM TCU, which allows Google maps to send, decode and display the info in the iDrive screen.

IMO, the reason that the Canadian MY2008 3-Series and the X6 in the USA can receive Google maps and the rest of the MY2008 USA BMW don't seems to me to be the switchover from the Verizon (CDMA) to the AT&T (GSM) Assist contract in the USA, not because of any technical reason. Whoever is the Canadian provider made it possible over there for Google maps to work from the GSM TCU get go in all models.

I guess that the US X6 got Google maps because BMW most probably made a deal with Verizon for just 5-6 months to provide that service until AT&T took over the whole line up by 09/08, as another "exciting" feature of a just introduced model by then.

Both the Canadian and the US GSM TCU have same exact P/N and the feature works in the old iDrive so this is not a new iDrive-only feature, the service provider has to be the difference. It looks to me like a simple cost measure for the US BMW.

For those Canadian M3 with production dates of 03/08 (check your TCU in the trunk for "GSM" printed in the label) just try sending a Google map message or simply call your Assist and ask if the service is actually valid for your car. If so then make sure that your email on file at the Assist is the exactly the same email that you are using to send the Maps.
Appreciate 0