09-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #17
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LOL View Post
Hey guys, I drive a 2008 STi myself, but my dad had an m3 in the past and have a couple buddies w/ m3's and 335's etc. After having extensive time with both of these cars, I already have a preconceived opinion on the subject. But I would LOVE to hear what you guys think? Straight line performance, handling, modifications may also play into the subject.

So lets hear it! I am extremely curious as to your guys point of view.
I drove an 04 STi for 5 years, so I'm pretty qualified to answer.

Acceleration/Engine - very similar up to around 100ish, then the M3 will start to walk away. Obviously you have to be busier shifting in the STi. There are also a lot of situations where the engine in the M3 is an advantage...like on a racetrack or in turns - situations where you have to shift in the STi, and not in the M3. The exhaust note of the M3 is pretty amazing; especially when you open it up with an exhaust - it sounds like a racecar. I always like the STi's exhaust note as well.

Braking - The M3 has better brake feel stock than my STi did, but the STi stopped better. Actually, at the time the 04 was released, I think it was #1 or 2 in the world in terms of 60-0 braking. Both need a fluid change and a brake pad change if you want to crush it at the track.

Handling - M3, no comparison IMO. You can certainly drive just as fast in the STi, but the feedback is not there in my opinion. I just like RWD more. The M3 is a pretty heavy car 3600+, but it feels like an overgrown go-kart to me. Obviously the STi has a huge advantage in adverse conditions. I use to look forward to bad snow in my STi; not so in the M3 ; )

Steering - This is a huge advantage for the M3. Again, the feedback is excellent. While I did definitely get feedback in the STi, the steering felt overboosted and a little loose. This was something that really stood out to me on the test drive.

Transmission - STi gear change is much better and more precise; also a much shorter throw. I added a SS to the M3 to try to help with this - which it did, but it still falls short compared to the STi.

Looks - M3; not really up for debate in my opinion. The STi can be made to look aggressive, but never really elegant. That's fine, I really enjoyed the looks of my STi at the time.

Interior - M3, no question. It isn't just about the materials used either. I've driven the crap out of my M3, year round, and there are zero rattles. The STi made a lot of noise...which I knew would be the case when I bought it. No regrets, just a different focus. The materials used in the M3 aren't just better than the STi, they're a step up from the regular BMW models - Novillo leather is really incredibly nice.

Comfort - The M3 is a lot more comfortable for me. I'm a big guy and the STi seats never fit me particularly well. This is actually a huge reason I bought the M3. I like to go on weekend trips, but anything over 3 hours in the STi would kill my ass and lower back. In the M3, I can go 5-7 hours with no issue. Still, I wish the M3 steering wheel telescoped another inch.

Stereo - My STi didn't come with one - haha! I put in a decent system, but the M3 is better. Still the premium audio in the M3 isn't as good as I expected, but it still beats the STi.

Service - No one has met my standards yet, but Subaru dealerships generally suck pretty bad and I had issues with a couple. Still, they tend to be far better than your average American brand.

That's what comes to mind off the top of my head. I'm sure I left some stuff out. I don't do a huge amount of mods since the STi was my daily driver, as is the M3 now. Obviously you can make an STi go very fast for a reasonable amount of money. For me, the STi, and now the M3, are plenty fast for me - on the road, track, etc. The final thing I would say is that there are a lot of intangibles that add-up on the M3 - little things that make the overall experience incredibly satisfying.
Appreciate 0