View Single Post
      07-22-2018, 08:39 PM   #76
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
My point is broader ... in that we really don't know the stem to stern environmental impacts of EVs vs. ICE. When I consider environmental impacts, I am not just considering GHGs, but the vast habitat and other environmental damage caused by constructing hydro-electric dams, harvesting oil from tar sands, fracking, off-shore drilling, mountaintop removal mining, etc.

Intuitively, EVs caused significant environmental damage; irrespective of whether they are marginally or even measurably better from a GHG perspective. I would much rather see investment in technologies that hold the potential to significantly alter the equation (eg. thermocatalytic decomposition and/or wind/solar electrolysis for manufacturing hydrogen as a fuel source) than the current rush to treat EVs as a panacea for all our environmental ills. It has not been studied enough and both industry and government are behaving irresponsibly).
Well, if it eases your mind at all, the power industry is focused almost solely on wind and solar power here in America. So those other environmental worries are tiny tiny slices of the pie. You might read about those for consideration, but no one is mobilizing.

EV's don't have anything to do with the means of power production anyways. If we have a massive shift to EV tomorrow, we're just going to burn more coal, as that's where most of our power comes from. It's not like they're going to go out and damn up a bunch of rivers. The industry is slowly shifting the grid to solar and wind currently.