06-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #47
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post

If your primary concern in selecting staggered vs squared is car stability, perhaps focus more at this stage on car control skills? Take some car control clinics, drifting classes, etc. Or, just take it easy on the tracks and slowly practice car controls on the tracks. Tracks in SoCal have so much run-off's with no trees that, that's entirely possible.
This is good advice, but the way you framed makes it sound like choosing a more stable wheel/tire setup (if one exists) and practicing car control skills are mutually exclusive. I don't think you meant to imply as much, but just pointing out that my question about the tradeoffs of a staggered or square setup is precisely because I need to develop my car control skills and would therefore be willing to sacrifice ultimate performance for an "easier" setup while I learn (again, assuming an "easier" setup exists, which it sounds like it might not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj747 View Post
It sounds like you're new to car setup. and you seem to be missing a macro concept.

You can make a square setup stable and pushy. Again, the performance and handling balance depends on your setup AS A WHOLE.

If you set a car up to be balanced on a staggered setup and throw on square tires, it wont be balanced. It'll probably be loose. Likewise, if you set a car up for square tires and put staggered tires on, it'll probably be pushy.
You are correct, I am definitely new to the track scene.

If a square setup can be made to be, as you say, "pushy and stable" like a staggered setup, then it would seem to be a no brainer for a weekend warrior, since one could conceivably dial in a tendency to oversteer or understeer as their skill level allows, all the while enjoying the benefits of being able to rotate tires.

I guess the question, then, is what would this involve? When you say "setup," I assume you mean suspension components. Obviously, there will be a limit to what one can realistically tweak on a street car.
Appreciate 0