View Single Post
      10-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #18
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

JRZ

As with all aftermarket applications, this like anything else needs to be considered for the application.

I have been running a JRZ suspension on my E90 M3 since approximately 2011. I have over 90,000 continuous miles on the system(s). My application is my daily driver street car and 3-6 times per year weekend track vehicle (no trailers for me). I have 135,000 miles on my car and just rebuilt the whole front end at 110,000 miles as a precaution (excluding steering rack).

Here are my observations: The JRZ customer service has uniformly been excellent, however, over the years I have had a number of issues. I started with the RS1 single adjustable shock which had more problems than can be described here. This set went back and forth a couple of times and then JRZ substituted a new set of the RS-2 double adjustable shocks and struts.

The JRZ double adjustable has been amazing when relatively new but after 11,000 to 13,000 miles the struts in particular would start making all sorts of interesting noises. This is mostly a low-speed (less than 30 mph) phenomenon which includes noises such as popping, creaking, groaning, banging and other noises. Basically it makes the front of your car sound like the front of the car is about to fall off. I’m so experienced with these noises the JRZ guys don’t even ask me if it could be another source anymore. Give a friend or colleague a ride and they ask, “Is your car alright?” Pedestrians walking next to your car can hear the sounds as well.

JRZ has recently redesigned their double adjustable system. I am now running their Version 2 struts and shocks. The shocks got a minor modification but the struts got a somewhat major revision. JRZ will not tell you what exactly they did in their redesign but it’s supposed to fix the issues they’ve had in the E9x application. They are aware of the symptoms that I describe above and have been working on fixes for years. What I note with this new version is that at low shock settings, for the street, the compliance of the shocks is substantially better.

I can’t comment on durability as I only have about 3,000 miles on this new version and unfortunately my last two track sessions got cancelled for different reasons (WGI & VIR). What I’ve always liked about the JRZ system is the on-track performance and adjustability is fantastic. I’ve had an ex-pro race driver tune my suspension and he liked it much stiffer than I was used to tracking my car. Nonetheless after it was tuned to his liking I still had at least 6 clicks of additional rebound and even more compression adjustment available. Basically these shocks and struts will run from pretty reasonably soft to hard as rocks (never run them that stiff). I’m hoping that this is the long-term fix for durability but it’s still unknown.

Most of the noise problems I’ve had didn’t affect track performance at all, but when you’re driving to work or going in and out of parking lots it can drive you a bit crazy. Keeping fingers crossed that this final fix will do the trick.

This is only one person's experience, not a collection so be advised it doesn't represent the universe of JRZ applications.
Appreciate 5
PrimeBMW663.00
aus893.50
FMLYSDN1183.00
M43S7RO504.00