Thread: ZCP vs 6MT
View Single Post
      07-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #63
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

I'm a 6MT guy (started on S2000s, then had a 6MT E46M for 6 years) but I wanted to give DCT a try on the E90. I'd driven an E92 ZCP DCT quite a bit before purchasing, and felt the DCT was surprisingly fun and engaging for just a flick of a paddle. More importantly, I thought the extra gear, and the ability to always be in the right gear, added essential torque/pep to an engine/chassis that needed this extra little grunt. They really are a great setup together, and it's usually the 6MT owners that complain about the weight or lack of torque in this car.
That said, I do find myself missing my old shifter a bit. On the right roads, nothing can beat the enjoyment of properly set up 6MT. But for outright performance and for a variety of roads/conditions, DCT really is great a great all around box.
SMG is cool, but it's lack of refinement makes it far less versatile than DCT. DCT will kick ass at the track or in the canyon, and then let you commute in comfort. SMG is fine with WOT shifts, but it sucks around town. If I am going to suffer around town, I'll just go with a 6MT. I think thats the difference SMG -> DCT. That, and DCTs are looking to be more reliable than SMG.
Appreciate 2
vincE92M3565.50
SoCalRPM885.50