08-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #5
Vincent_E90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E90 335i 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
Having an S4 you're aware of the higher costs of consumables and repairs so that doesn't sound like much of a concern. To be honest, not even trying to be biased but I believe the E90 is the best dialy for people like us that want that special feel while remaining practical. Also, consider the DCT. Its a fabulous transmission and if you're sitting in traffic and commuting, there is nothing better then throwing it in full auto and relaxing. Then, toss is in manual 5 and let her rip.
For what it's worth, I sat in bumper to bumper traffic from Pasadena to Fontana in a DCT e92 for Bimmerfest '17. The DCT transmission goes to neutral when you are in a full stop and it takes a little throttle to get it back in gear. Being in bumper to bumper for miles, I would be stopped then have to inch a few feet and wait for the transmission to finally put in it in first. Constantly waiting for the trans to finally grab a gear was torture and I would have rather been in my 6MT 335i because I know exactly where I can lift off the clutch and inch the car forward.

All other aspects of the DCT are amazing, but I never buy the "DCT is better in traffic" argument. Living in SoCal I think you're right with the 6MT
Mine - 2008 E90 335i Black Sapphire Metallic 6MT | New OEM Turbos @ 111k| Cobb Stage 2 LT Sport | Full Stainless Steel Akrapovic Exhaust | 5'' Stepped FMIC | VRSF Catless Downpipes| 19in BBS CH-R Matte Black | aFe Stage 2 Air Intake and air scoops| Mishimoto OCC| M-Tech Front Bumper
Appreciate 0