06-27-2019, 08:37 PM   #25
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferboy2312 View Post
There are about 40,000 people per year killed in car wrecks in this country alone, many more injured. Eventually autonomous cars will reduce that to near zero. We are quite a few years away from that, but it will happen. Many other benefits too. Someone asked is this for the millenials? Well, it actually might help you too. If this technology gets adopted fast enough, when you become too old to drive you will not have to worry because an autonomous car will take you wherever you want to go.
Car accidents, injuries and death toll will be reduced only when all vehicles driving on the road will be autonomous...this will not happen before 30 or 40 years ahead. And that will be effective only when all the technology will be able to deal with each situation, including weather issues. I don't see all this sensors, cameras, radar and laser working on a snow storm,. get dirty with all the salt and slush from the road.

A computer is programmed by a human. Now they have to deal with ethics. For example you are driving with yours kids and another pedestrian cross on front of you, the car will not able to avoir him...what's is the choice, kill the pedestrian of crash the car on side of the road and kill the passengers? Another situation: The car in front of you is having an emergency braking situation, your autonomous car will be able to stop but the truck behind you will not...a driver will choose to change lane or have a side crash...does the computer make a better choice than just stop...I doubt it!
Appreciate 1
DaveH28287.00