03-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #145
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I have read the entire thread including Enigma's accelerometer readings on his SMG2 M3.

My ONLY area of contention with your estimates has always been your assumptions around shift times.
  • You right surmised the compressed cycle of SMG3 over SMG2 but I think your X & Y axis assumptions for MDCT are too aggressive.
  • On the X axis, I firmly believe 0.1 to 0.15 seconds will be the total shift time (I offer you a wager on this).
  • On the Y axis, you don't show the acceleration to drop below 0.0 Gs. There must be a finite time where one clutch disengages and the other clutch engages, this means there will be that finite period of time where the acceleration is negative (wind resistance, drivetrain losses etc). However small this finite period of time, the G's must dip below 0.0 Gs.
Accelerometer reading are from his MT Elise, so I guess you can not really read that well.

As well my sketches do not show SMG III vs. II, I only show SMG but my numbers indicate something like the minimum shift times for SMG III.

I still disagree with you on the other points as well. My x and y scales are likely not perfect and like enigma pointed out my acceleration post shift for DCT is very likely too high. These were just SKETCHES! That being said. I will bet that M-DCT at best will easily break 100 ms shift times. I won't bet on margins compared to SMG III as you wanted. Furthermore DCT can and almost for sure will phase the clutches to drastically reduce or eliminate the deceleration period. I will bet on drastically less deceleration than SMG (any variant) with the ability to not dip to negative as well.
Appreciate 0