View Single Post
      04-09-2019, 05:34 PM   #574
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrd View Post
I thought that I'd provide some feedback after running the RS-4s for four days.

Pros
I have four days on these tires, and I should be able to get another two days out of them. I can't get more than four days out of NT-01s, RE71Rs or R7s. I've run Conti and Pirelli DH scrubs, but it's hard to compare those to a new tire.

Cons
The RS-4s felt good for a lap or two then started to get greasy with both understeer and oversteer. I couldn't help hooning it out of second gear corners at COTA as the rear would easily break free. I decided half way through the weekend that I would not buy them again as I'm spoiled with running tires with more grip.

Overall
Despite feeling much less grip, my lap times didn't suffer as much as I would have thought at both MSR and COTA. I was running close to PBs at both. That said, the temps were cool so that might have accounted for faster times.

Final Verdict
The other tires cost $250-$350 per day if they last four days. RS-4s cost $150 per day at 6 days. That's close to half the cost of the other options. They get greasy after 1-2 hot laps and need a cool down lap. The RS-4s might be best bang for the buck if you can stop chasing lap times and enjoy the experience.
Update: I now have a total of 9 track days out of this set - 2 were in the wet. I could probably get another day or two out of them, but they are starting to slightly chunk. My lap times are still close to PBs. These tires will not die! I did flip them on the rim after 4 days.

Again, I can only get 4 dry days out of NT-01s, RE71Rs, and R7s. I really think these are the best bang for the buck HPDE tire. NT-01s might be up to one second faster.

I have to say that I'm itching for a stickier tire, but IMHO these are much better bang for the buck than NT-01s. It will be interesting to see how much faster I am on stickier tires. I'm looking for DHs or BFG R1s next, and I'll post an update after the BMW event in early May.

Cheers,
-Daniel
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 2