View Single Post
      08-02-2018, 10:47 PM   #22
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiv23 View Post
Did he also mention what wear it causes exactly? The burble itself is just fuel firing in the exhaust. You can't hear anything unless it's (exhaust) warmed up.
With respect to burble/pop tunes, it ends up that there is extra fuel in the cylinder that isn't burned in the combustion cycle, which can blow by the piston, mess up the rings and into the oil. While the amount is likely minuscule, in a high-revving high 12:1 CR race engine with potential rod bearing issues, not a risk I would want to take. Not to mention the backfire may be reducing optimal exhaust flow and scavenging (and is probably leaving a little power on the table). This engine has a tough time enough hitting timing targets as it is with 91 (let alone 93) octane, so introducing any small variable that disrupts optimal combustion or has the potential of degrading the oil film doesn't seem like the greatest idea to me, then again I want this puppy to last a long, long time and try to minimize all potentially adverse variables.
Appreciate 0