05-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #92
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
According to leftlanenews it will be a new inline 6 3.2L with twin turbos plus an electric turbo to eliminate lag. So 430hp and 450torque in a lighter engine than the current V8... And mileage will probably be over 20 mpg combined which is amazing for that kind of power. We know the current N54 can do 370 HP with a few modes, now a little bigger engine with bigger turbos (which would be the reason for the electric turbo and eliminating lag with it) should easily be able to produce 430hp and be stable.
Obviously we can't rule out an brand new I6 3.2L triple turbo, but consider this:

If this new ///M engine (which will be the basis for so many other halo 3-series M vehicles thru 2016) is going to debut with the new X3M, that just doesn't seem very plausible!

In other words, a brand new, hi-tech engine would debut in a M3 coupe, or gran coupe or something other than an older 3-platform SUV that got turned into an ///M.

N55 with new/updated turbos and other fancy/lightweight parts fits all the criteria for common sense. Not too new, i.e. tested, can "fit" inside a F25 no problem, an is powerful enough to fit they whole range of announced upcoming vehicles.
Appreciate 0