View Single Post
      08-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #11
m34jlp
Wheel Whore
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Does anyone know if there is a spec as far as strength is concerned in any of the governing bodies. JWL, TUV or whatever. If there is, I would guess that most companies would just design for that spec regardless of what material is being used. Once the design strength is determined, they can then begin to play with other variables like weight.
Crazy to say but I havent seen many forged wheels getting certified. Since they are usually custom fitments they would have to get each special order certified. In that respect cast wheels have the upper hand. Not because the forged arent as strong but because you know what you are getting. This is why cast wheels shouldnt be marketed as certified across the board if they are being altered (Forgestar). Once you alter anything on the wheel they certification is void (not the original design/offset).

If someone really tried, they could make a super light forged wheel that is very weak.

This is why most wheels (forged or cast) all weigh the same or very close to each other. When one sticks out becareful. If it isnt properly designed from the get go there can be problems.

Forged wheel companies make a safe design that lets them mill the backpad for specific offsets w/o risking a wheel failure. This leads to more weight.

Now with wheels like RAC. The wheel is built for a specific offset/size so they can play with weight reducing techniques and then have that specific wheel fitment certified since it wont be altered. This guarantees it is strong enough for your vehicle.

Hope that makes sense...I am in a hurry.
Appreciate 0