11-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #42
dans///m3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
The rear system is not a true coilover. Therefore if you shorten the length of the spring to create more drop you may have to shorten the length of the shock to maintain a small about of preload on the spring so that it says in the perch/collars when the rear wheel is complete unsprung. If you raise up the rear of car (both sides) and the springs are completely loose they may become unseated. There should be enough tension/preload on the springs so that it says put. As mentioned, because the rear system is not a c/o it will not impact the ride height at all. Its very easy to do and you don't even have to remove the shock to adjust the length. Seems like common sense to me.
This is good stuff for suspension newbs like me, where I have no clue what "common sense" is.

So what you're saying is, if i wanted to say raise the rear height from the recommended settings, if I did it by just trying to lengthen the length of the shock, it would not affect ride height at all because it's not a coilover (like the front is). To truly adjust the rear height, I would have to adjust the spring preload adjuster (recommended is 37mm, let's say I change to 42mm or +5mm), and then adjust the length of the shock about +5mm as well to have the desired final rear ride height adjustment effect (+5mm). I'm assuming this would maintain approx the same spring preload as recommended settings? Or would I even need to adjust the length of the shock in this case? Could I adjust the spring perch to 42mm or +5mm and leave the shock as is which would seem to create more spring preload? Or is it wiser to always adjust both the spring perch and the shock length in tandem to maintain the same spring preload?

Thanks for helping us newbs.

Last edited by dans///m3; 11-07-2013 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0