Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus Driver View Post
Just did mine and the wear was quit prominent ,2010 with 45k miles. 2nd owner, had it for abou 3k miles. Dunno how it was driven before.

My thoughts were one of the main contributing factor is not properly warming up the engine to operating temps before being driven hard.

Didn't know that by rarely driving it hard enough could also lead to the RB wear. Could you kindly explain how this could happen?
Thing is, I occasionally drive my ///M and hardly drive them hard, just a few spririted drives.
By driven hard I mean don't be afraid to let the engine spin out to redline. The mechanical components are stable at 8k rpms and you're not adding any additional stress that the engineers didn't already think of. So go ahead and enjoy the S65's soundtrack often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
If under 3k rpm under load is lugging (not that I'm questioning you) how can avoid it in my situation where I live on the bottom of a hill? Every morning I let the car finish the cold start cycle and slowly drove off for maybe 500 feet before going uphill and I stay under 2500rpm as I crawl up the hill as slow as possible in 2nd, sometime in 3rd.
Leave it in second gear when making the climb. 2500 rpms is too low in the rpm band in my opinion. If my current cruise speed and gear is at 3k, I dont' upshift. Once I clear 4k with normal driving I upshift. When I'm driving aggressively, 6k is a norm. All once fully up to temp. When I can and the cops are vacant I try to hit 8k for fun. ;-)