The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Great bird and great shot.

I don't do it, but if you want to put a light in the eye, then use the Clone tool to take a piece of the sky and Clone some pixels into the eye. I try to get the eyelight naturally. Most wildlife photo contests will not allow any cloning, so you need to strive for the eyelight naturally. I'll take a lot of 0images, trying to notice when the eye catches the light and nail it, but it's 0not always possible. So, I might take 60 images of a bird perched like this.

For general usage, Cloning in an eyelight adds a lot of power. I don't consider it "cheating", but the image will be excluded from most contests. Generally, you can crop, adjust contrast and adjust color (slightly), but that's about it. Some contests don't even allow cropping, which blows my mind, given that 90+% of bird images are cropped.

Most people don't realize that you might spend thirty-minutes waiting on one of these guys to fly and catch the flight shot. I've even had them say to me, "You were lucky" having no idea that I'd spent an hour with one bird, trying to get a great flight shot. You know what it takes and, when you have the time, you'll get those shots.

Dave
might play around with one or two of the pictures, i took a pile of them, i have a few i like.

unfortunatly, the bird was perched well below the canopy of the trees, so no real light was getting in.

might be able to steal something from the background, but i think anything is going to have a hint of green (but i guess that makes sense as that would be reflected in the eye.

it's interesting about the no cropping rule of the photo contests, considering people with 21-24megapixel cameras will have loads of room and loads of detail.

I guess they just want people as close as possible to the subject without disturbing it to get the best shot that fills the frame?
Appreciate 0