08-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #8
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocstraw View Post
Like SYTShadow said, If you're decent with computers you're better off buying the cable and learning how to flash it with WinKFP. It takes about 7 minutes to do each flash and I've tried like 4 different ones now. WinKFP is much easier to use than NCSDummy or NCSExpert too. The 335i / N54 sites offer better DIY guides on how to use these programs and get them running.

I should probably start this as its own thread but my brief notes

All ZBs are for the module GS40

ZB 7845773 - This is supposedly what shipped with the GTS.
-Smoother and smarter transmission settings in general.
- S1-S3 do not blip downshifts, they slip downshifts. For this reason I use S4 for most driving.
-S6 will ease into upshifts when around quarter throttle or less, no shift shock, stock US / Euro would upset the car a lot if you did this.
-S4-S6 slam into upshifts, absolutely no cut of power, will really spin from a 1-2 gear shift, 2-3 will sometimes spin even on a hot day.
-Been a minute but I believe launch control was like 3500-4500. Hooked up much better than the stock tune, which just spins tires.
-Sounds (exhaust note) like a torque converter automatic, meshing into upshifts.

ZB 7848442 - Updated GTS?
- Currently using this, very much the same, a minor upgrade
- Can say with certainty that launch control is at 4500, hooks much better than the 5500 launch
- Perhaps a bit smoother at low speeds, equally violent when pushed.

ZB 7847869 - Up to date Euro Flash?
- Smoother than US, faster to reverse
- Better at low speeds than US but still noticeably clunkier than GTS
- Interesting note: The best sounding transmission tune.
-----Gives a really, really nice overrun sound when doing 1-2s and 2-3s at lower speeds.
-----Clear, audible cut of power during some shifts in higher settings, sounds mechanical & satisfying, like racking a gun. Hard to explain.
-5500RPM launch, not very useful. pure entertainment, theater.
- I switch to this when tracking and would use it all the time if it was as intelligent at slipping the clutch as GTS when operating at low speeds.

ZB - 7847868 Current US tune???
- No notable characteristics. Felt very much like when I got the car, which came flashed with DME & trans with 2013 SPDaten flashes. Felt like many of the other stock M3s I've driven. Not bad, but could be better.

Taking the time to type this up because I was frustrated with the lack of notes on characteristics and ZB numbers for all of these flashes. Hopefully someone searching in the future will find this and know where to go.

I would spend your money on getting someone to do Euro MDM, because using those programs is more complicated. American MDM is legitimately no fun at all.
Very nice post, thanks! Been wondering about what the DCT tunes actually are doing, reading the US OEM complains (Im EU), I was guessing it to some extend convert to EU sw but now I know better. Good input!

Ps. Didnt quite get the slipping clutch advantage with the GTS tune?
Ps. Ps. And yessir, you should definitely create a separate thread on this subject, comparing the different sw and its resulting features, haven't seen anything like that before.

Last edited by Helmsman; 08-14-2019 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0