View Single Post
      11-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #52
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

Best thing you can do is get an Excellent cut stone with a great color. HOF (Hearts on Fire) diamonds follow these principals and they will always stand out against other diamonds. The better the cut and better the color the bigger the diamond will appear and the more sparkle it will give. You want Excellent or Ideal cut (not Good or Premium or Fine) and color wise stick to D, E , F, G colors. Smaller diamonds with these characteristics will actually appear larger and more brilliant than the average diamond that is 1-2 carats greater in size. All the diamond Jewelry I buy my sweet is HOF because their diamonds always stand out since they practice this method. Technically their stones are VS2 or better but they sparkle like no other.

Some other advice for the budget minded. Don't be afraid to buy a diamond at a Jewelry or Gem auction or estate sale. (just know what you are doing or buy a diamond that has papers with it like an AGA or GIA cert) I was able to get a 2.81 Princess Cut Diamond that was VVS1 G color and Excellent 1 cut for about $15K at auction. That may sound like alot but appraisal value the stone comes in over $40K. I then looked at a bunch of designs on-line and found several styles I liked and took pictures to a jeweler that I knew who then with my help created a custom ring. He made molds, I approved and next thing you know I have a ring that is certified for about $50K that looks fantastic on my fiance's hand.

"The Rock" as it has been nicknamed by all her friends (its total carat weight is about 4cts with the accent diamonds) looks great and she loves the fact that I designed it more than anything else. I like the fact that I gave her a $50K ring that in reality only cost me about $18K and a little of time/effort.

Last little piece of advice which is a great middle ground.... Costco on-line!!! Their premium rings and loose diamonds are usually a great value and Costco can be trusted as a seller for their quality. I would have gone this route if I was short on time or could not find the stone I wanted at Auction.

Good Luck!!
Appreciate 0