11-08-2022, 11:00 PM   #100
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature Wheel BMW View Post
LM is junk, lower grade than OEM. HTHS is 3.5. Castrol HTHS is 5.0. So either use OEM Castrol, x8100, or Ravenol for track / aggressive driving. Reason are lowest viscosity cold and hot, and highest HTHS. Otherwise, Redline 5w50 is a good alternative for colder climate and track use. Redline 5w50 is the thickest of its weight, while being thinner than the thinnest 10w60.

Most important specs for our motors are thinnest viscosity of its class (bearing clearance) and HTHS (bearing protection). Everything else, not as important.

I hear a lot of "I've been using x for 2yrs, it's fine." Stick with OEM or find an oil that has the lowest viscosity and highest HTHS as OEM. Otherwise, don't move away if there's not improvements.
My point was that the first page of this thread needs a major update as many of these oils have updated formulas and the specs shown on front page won't match what you can buy today.

Liqui-Moly Race Tech does not have an HTHS of 3.5, their spec sheet only says "above 3.5" and that's the way their brand has chosen to handle marketing. I used to manage a shop and sold many brands of oil including LM, brought it up to their US sales department that they may want to list more relevant HTHS numbers because oil samples I sent in for analysis indicated that it had a competitively high HTHS in reality (it was something like 5.6 or 5.7 if I remember). LM headquarters decided not to update how they advertise their oil so they stick with "above 3.5".

Liqui-Moly is not the best option in my opinion but wanted to clarify this since it's a common misconception about their product.
Appreciate 0