View Single Post
      01-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #213
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

There are plenty of inline-4 that make awesome sounds. My Gixxer 1000R was like that. The Hayabusa engine in GSXR 1300R has an inline-4 that is 1.3 liter and makes breath taking 196 hp and 157 Ib-ft of torque at sky high rpm of 10500. All this on regular gas with an engine that weighs appx. less then 220 kg. The sound of Hayabusa is so amazing that it reminds you of a jet fighter.

All this with no turbos. The turbo Hayabusa sound as amazing in sound yet routinely make close to 255hp and plenty of healthy torque. Also, in more I have seen 450-500 hp Hayabusa engines even in a mini. That weighs no more then 550 kg.

Here is one on a drag strip and the other on fifth gear video with amazing sound in form of T-Rex

I think given time BMW will be able to make a pretty awesome inline-4 because 1000RR with only 999 cc is already close to hp figures of Hayabusa. Given extra few CC of displacement I am pretty sure they could get up to well over 200hp NA. and if they use a turbo on that engine you could be looking at a 1300cc. engine making well over 240hp and singing to potential 10,500 rpm. I am pretty sure they could tame the engine rpm's and scale them back to 8000 rpm to give us a still fun high revving engine that could be more fuel efficient.

I rather see the technology of lighter engines come into play. So our cars can get lighter because big heavy engines sitting on the front wheels are not ideal driving dynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
^ Right.
BMW isn't immune to the laws of physics.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0