View Single Post
      09-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #2065
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep
Drives: '18 Z06 M7

Seems like I'll be going against the grain from most of you, but I've been following the market for about 7 years, and investing off and on for 5. I made a lot of money buying Ford at $1.60 and selling at $12.60 in a 7 month span during the auto crisis a few years ago.

When I recently started investing again, I got into dividend paying pharmaceuticals and REITs. I bought BMY at 25.80 and sold for $30 last week for 16% adjusted profit less tax for a 6 months investment. Kinda wishing I'd held for a year to avoid the short capital gains tax, even if the value drops, I'd probably still come out ahead. Oh well.

My REIT portfolio is about even from where it was 6 months ago value wise (gained on IVR, lost on CIM), but I've made almost 35% of the stock value in dividends less 15% taxes, so I'm still doing quite well there.

Anyone else into REITs? Obama's tax restructuring talks right now are really scaring me. I'm hoping that shoot all that crap down or it'll really kill that market segment. For now though since the feds have promised to keep interest rates down, that segment should be safe. Hopefully the politicians don't regulate that segment out of existence.
Appreciate 0