View Single Post
      04-01-2024, 09:18 PM   #19
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5m View Post
Thanks M3SQRD for the thorough response and offer to drive your MCS equipped E92. That's the dream suspension. Looked at JRZ too but hard for me personally to justify the cost, although I am starting to really consider it given the headache I'm getting researching suspension...

From everything I've read and the Bilstein rep I spoke with, the body length is the same between the B6 and B8 i.e. spring perch is at the same height. Are we saying the same thing? Their fully extended length is what's different. Fully compressed they're also the same height, which makes me think the B6 uses a shorter internal bump stop? This is for the front, but same story for the rear.

I don't get the love for TCK. I also factor in my 'feel' for a company and, feel like TC would kinda leave me on my own if I wasn't satisfied with their product. Really tempted to pick up the used set for sale currently but think I'll hold off for now. Maybe from this whole suspension topic and revisit it later.

Remonster Thanks for chiming in! The Ohlins sound amazing and that much more desirable. Surprised the lower control arms made that big of a difference. I guess I should look into that too. So even though the bushings seemed okay they must've gotten fatigued over the years. Hopefully these aren't too pricey as I think it'll be worth replacing those to have the best outcome at improving ride comfort.

Perhaps the negatives I read about Ohlins were just that, people being too hasty, or a number of other factors like the arms or tire pressures. I've experienced the latter playing a significant role. May back mine off a bit. They're DWS 06's, but really really old. Hoping to upgrade wheels so haven't put the money into replacing them, but I'm sure they're not helping things as they sit.
The MCS 2/3/4WR remote reservoir dampers are the best dampers I’ve used. Over the past 30+ years, I’ve tried MCS, Moton, Ohlins, Nitron, JRZ, TCK, KW, Koni, Tein, and Bilstein dampers. The MCS range of independent damping adjustment, adjustable reservoir nitrogen pressure (100-250 psi), range of spring rate, suspension travel, high-speed blow-off valve, thermal stability, smoothness, level of tech support/service are all second to none. Moton, Nitron, Ohlins TTX and Intrax are all phenomenal dampers but I just prefer MCS. I’m currently running three 2WR setups, one JRZ setup (it was supposed to be one of the very first MCS 1WNR setups ) and one Ohlins R&T setup. I’ve installed a 2WR (100 psi reservoir pressure) with F/R 500/800 lbf/in street setup on my wife’s m240ix and it’s amazing how compliant and controlled the car is on bumpy roads. You can feel the spring rate but it’s never harsh or abusive (not tiring or feeling like you were in a fight). Perhaps it’ll be best if we left the MCS e92 M3 in the garage and only drive the JRZ e92 M3 - point was to convince you to get the Ohlins R&T, not complicate things with the MCS setup

So the Bilstein B8 version is identical to the B6 except for its droop travel (the maximum downward travel of the wheel allowed by the damper) which is less. Bilstein shortened the B8 damper by shortening the piston rod (see link below). The internal bump stop of the B6 and B8 are not changed

https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/bl...nd-bilstein-b8

However, the Evolve/Bilstein B6 damper body has been shortened to address the gas pressure lifting force. The spring seat and sway bar mount are lowered relative to the larger diameter section of the damper where it mounts to the knuckle (see pic below, Bilstein B6 is on the right). Evolve did this so that you’d get the correct lowered ride height from the lowering springs; i.e., the measured lowered ride height is in agreement with the value quoted by the lowering spring manufacturer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
a5m618.00