Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335XI (sold)/E92 M3 (sold)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I have two E9X M3s and a F80 CS

This forum has blown the TA issue completely out of proportion. It is a piece that eventually fails and gives you tons of time from when you first get the code to when the car is in permanent limp mode.
It is pointless to worry about TAs. The day they fail you replace them.

The rod bearings for sure are something I think you should get done as soon as you get the car. This is the one Achilles heel of the E9X.

If you do some research on cars you will find every single one of them has at least one serious issue.
In the E9X it's rod bearings, which cost ~2500 to replace including your engine mounts.
As far as 'terminal issues' go, this is pretty much a best case scenario: well documented, DIY anyone could do, easy access, BE bearings are affordable and solve the problem once and for all.

The F80 has the crank hub. Although it is evidently related to power output judging by the amount of idiots who tune it to 550whp and spin the crank a day later, it apparently has also happened to stock cars.
A hub crank 'fix' is a crapton of money, there is almost no documentation out there about the solutions and it's impossible to DIY.
The F80 also has other issues, like the coolant entering the engine because the radiator fails with no warning.

Drive each on the street and you'll know what you prefer.
The F80 is substantially faster than the E9X at the track, but on the street I way prefer the E9X: better steering, no turbo lag, wonderful sound, still fast.

Both are very solid options with different initial characters but at the limit they are carbon copies of each other, like all M3s are: easy to drive, communicative, doesn't bite, fast as hell.

At this point I would not buy another E9X for track use as it's too expensive to make it the same speed as an F80, however, for the street I still prefer an E9X by a wide margin.
Summed up perfectly

And there are reputable shops out there who will do rod bearings for under $2,000.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11479.50
wfdeacon881105.00