dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
noob question
what do the anti-knockback springs do? (i'm going to Google after posting this question)

I got ST60 in front because i kept reading that the stock brakes were no good
and I thought I was going to be some badass track beast once I got my M3 ...

but I have been out just once and realized that 2 years away from the track is a long time and I need to work on fundamentals

They prevent knockback which can give poor pedal feel after hard cornering. Here is a great definition I found:

Anti-knockback springs are mainly for race use. They will avoid any pad knock-back after high-speed cornering.

The knockback can be caused by the wheel bearing flexing under an extreme load during long high-speed turns. During turn, it will cause the rotor to push the pads/pistons inward resulting in a softer pedal feel until the pad touches the rotor again. 

With the springs in place, the pistons and pads will be pushed back against the rotor after the turn and avoid any slack in the pedal feel. 

For street use, anti-knock back springs will result in slightly more pad wear. If you experience pad knock back on the streets, you should probably look into doing more track-days!
XKxRome0ox1587.50