Wagon Pusher
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i E91 M Sport 6 Spd

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92335drew View Post
Put together a nice walk through I can piggy back on
The Bimmertech E90 Installation video is pretty good

I suggest watching it all the way through before your start. The only notes I have so far are:

1) If you haven't popped the dome light console from the headliner before, this was a lot harder than the video made it look. This DIY has some helfpul instructions on how to pop the tabs https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97545

2) The Bimmertech video has you run a pigtail to the iDrive controller. This is not needed for the Carsara unit. I had run it before realizing this and just pulled it out later. Remove the pigtail and plug the #A and #B pigtails of the harness together (photo and more info here https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1533). There are a few posts back that talk about coding limitations. If you need to code the CIC, you need to make some changes to this wiring. So either make coding changes ahead of time, or leave the wires easily accessible. Using the footwell was a suggestion.

3) There are instructions in this thread (https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1486) to code the AUX in the back of the headunit vs using the aux cable into the armrest. I haven't tried this yet. Cannyjock reports quality is better, but there is a downside:

Quote:
The only (very minor) negative is that when the system starts up there doesn't seem to be any sound, until I switch to aux again - however this is very easy as I have a shortcut button set up for it (the row of numbered buttons on the CIC headunit) and just press this then it's OK. It seems that the aux in volume stays as 0 unless I do this. Doesn't really bother me.
In the short tests I did with the armrest Aux, I did not have to switch to Aux again, it always worked after start up. I'll be doing some audio comparisons later today to see if I'm happy enough with the audio from the armrest AUX. If it sounds good to me and I don't have to worry about the startup audio at 0, I might keep it this way since I already ran the cable. It wasn't too difficult to run. I still need to test with the car running, hopefully there is no ground loop whine.

Using a Pixel 5 and connected wirelessly

4) Getting the CIC headunit back into place is where I am currently stuck. I spent some time last night trying to get the quadralock connector out of the way. The Bimmertech video talks about tucking it in the bottom right, but I couldn't get it to fit. It was dark and I was tired, so I will try again today. edit: I finally got it. I found it easier to tuck the quadralock connector with the headunit end disconnected, then plugged it back in.

edit: Install is done!

Last edited by motoridersd; 11-30-2020 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 5
PACarGuy677.50
Cyberdemon1537.50
CTMike262.00
Iyzmi802.00
GTiceman137.00