View Single Post
      07-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #60
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

My opinion on the Frozen paint (which I passed on a Frozen Blue last week and instead opted for my Interlagos) is that for most people on this forum and many enthusiasts who wash their car weekly and keep a quick detailing bottle close by, it is fine. It is especially easy if you are someone who doesn't drive the car every single day and puts the car away in the winter.

However, I know myself. Right now, less than a week after taking my new car, yes I am spraying the quick detail quite often and keeping it clean which is fine. But I know that down the line, I will stop being this meticulous. I also don't have time to put away for a hand wash every week. Once a month is pushing it as it is. As I own the car, it will get dusty and dirt will set in and I will not continue to be as meticulous as others.

This is just how I am, and I know many people are different about their cars (my next door neighbor, for example).

Due to this, I opted against the Frozen. I feel that becoming lazy is not an option and allowing dirt to settle in over a month or so will in fact ruin the paint, which is a risk I wasn't willing to take.

While letting dirt sit isn't the best idea for the glossy paints, it is still tried and true and a good claybar and wax will restore the paint. BMW makes the glossy paints on the regular 3 series's to protect from months and months of neglect, as so many regular car (see: grocery getter) owners go this long without a wash. The paint has to be able to hold up to this.

If, in fact, the matte paint can stay healthy and you are able to rejuvinate it even after a month or 2 of neglect, then I may have made a terrible mistake letting the frozen go by (though saving 10k was fine consolation). But I'm not sure I will ever know the answer to that question.
Appreciate 0