Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Start by reading this thread...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ht=3.62&page=2

You will find several reasons (evidence) to why this is a bad idea.

This will explain why this particular ratio is not ideal for this car. (and the DCT transmission)

Bottom Line: You won't get your 'bang for the buck' out of this proposed modification.

Just trying to save you from making a very costly mistake, that won't really make any difference in your overall performance.

If your heart is truly set on doing this modification anyway...you would be much better off in the long run with a 3.45:1 ratio.

A differential simply gives you a slight advantage off the line in 1st and 2nd gear, after that...the advantage is gone. The disadvantage is that you will burn more fuel with a 3.62 ratio, as your cruising rpms will increase to maintain your normal highway speeds.

In all honesty, you'll get more performance out of exhaust mods + pulley swap + custom tune at the end of the day.
I don't quite understand the purpose of the thread attached above other than to spout anecdotal comments rather than empirical data.

For example - where is it stated the 1/4 mile time is the end all measure of the benefits of a particular mod? Has any one measured how much faster or slower the car would be at the 1/2 mile or 1 mile mark? Also, how does this mod affect road course performance? IMO a road course test is probably more relevant as I think most would agree this car is designed more for road course use rather than drag strip performance.

My own anecdotal experience is this car is in its current form is every bit as fast or faster as my E46M3 with a VF Stage 1 S/C with 390whp with a track GC suspension and stoptech brakes on full course VIR. I routinely hit about the same or higher speeds on the front and back straights in a heavier lower hp car.

So I think for someone to say the 3.62 on a DCT car is a failure is not correct. My personal experience has been a very good one as I haven't experienced increase fuel consumption, annoying rpm at highway speed (btw, the rpm at 80mph is still less than the stock '95M3 I own), and other negatives being thrown around.

I'd do this mod again as it is a lot of fun!

Thx,
BC