View Single Post
      05-14-2018, 02:51 PM   #92
gottagofast13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTime View Post
Wow, there is so much good info in here. I get track insurance through Lockton Motorsports for every track event. I have never considered that there would be different types of coverage, or that certain activities (like timing one's laps) could possibly impact the insurance company's decision if I ever needed to file a claim. This hasn't really mattered that much for me, until now - starting with my next track weekend in a few weeks I am going to start actively timing myself and tracking my progress. I guess I should really do some homework about the different companies out there that offer this type of insurance, and also read up on what exactly is covered or not covered. Thanks for explaining all of this!
This is Ryan Staub from Lockton Motorsports - just thought I'd chime in and save you the hassle of having to do homework on this. I've been instructing for ~15 years (Chief Instructor for KC Chapter of BMW CCA) and I'm a big believer in data acquisition. While I don't feel HPDE students/track day guys should be chasing lap times, data and lap times are often the best indicator of improvements you're making as a driver.

From the beginning, we've pushed our insurers to not have restrictive or exclusionary language related to timing. If you use Harry's Lap Timer, an AiM system, etc, that will not trigger any limitations or exclusions in coverage on our policy. We do offer Time Trial coverage as an option to your HPDE/Time Trial policy, but that option only needs to be selected when it is a true Time Trial event. If the event organizer administers timing and the event is competitive, you need to add the "time trial" option to your policy to ensure coverage with us.

I hope that helps. Have a great season and keep the shiny side up!

Ryan
E36 328 racecar
Appreciate 5
M3MPH1S592.00
DreamTime864.50
roastbeef11586.00
redpriest2147.00
rg122077.00