09-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #64
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I do think it would be cool to get light pulleys that don't under drive the water pump. I'm not sure how much could be saved there but I will look into it.
i've talked about this with malek and it seems like the effort for less weight, non-underdriving pulleys would be somewhat cumbersome for little gain. however, i'm still interested for the fun of it. the belts have to spin the pulleys and tensioners, and that is moving mass, right?

i'm beginning to learn CAD and making things like pulley wheels would be relatively easy. same with non-essential (less stress) brackets.
there is a company called markforged that makes a 3d printer capable of printing continuous fiber carbon parts, and it typically uses a pre-preg carbon design. they are also pioneering laser sintering "printers."
there is a company- www.re3dtech.com that one could send 3d renderings to and they could be printed with the markforged tech. i'm not 100% sure if sintering titanium or inconel is available yet, but the tech is on the cusp of being available.

a few examples of what i would like to achieve is 3d printed carbon wiper arms and motor arms, carbon metal brackets (non essential) under the hood, and putting together titanium bolt/nut/fastener packages.
this isn't my background or bread and butter, but nobody is doing it yet and i might be able to have fun with it.