Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisca455 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYQM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisca455 View Post
The bolt has a 10mm thread, so 42Nm (31ft lbs) seems like the way to go.
Additionally, it appears the factory used red Loctite on the threads as well, at least that's what appeared to be on my bolt once I got it removed. Had to use a wrench all the way out.
I had this bolt break on my tensioner, do you know if the thread is 10-32, 10-24 or 10x1.5?
I'm 99.9% positive it's M10x1.5, but I didn't actually put a thread gauge on the threads to check the pitch.
I do have my hands and eyes on coarse thread M10s on a near daily basis and it did look like a coarse thread bolt to me, which is what I would expect for threading into aluminum.
I do know that the threads on the long bolt used for the fixed idler is M10x1.5 (because I replaced it with a stud), and that one screws into aluminum as well.
Plus, I doubt the BMW engineers would use different M10 thread pitch fasteners into aluminum.

The bolt head has a unique shape though, so let us know where you source a new one.
Ouff, I don't even know where to start looking for the bolt. I'm buying a pulley that comes with a bolt and I hope it's the right one.