View Single Post
      05-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
stega
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_K_AZ View Post
In my car the outer headlight functions as both high and low beam and it lights up the road just great in both modes. But, when I look at the lights, the inner ones never come on.

So I have seen conflicting posts on several posts regarding the functionality of the inner bi-xenon headlights on the E9X M3s. Here are the three most common theories out there and my personal experience next to them.

- They are part of the DRLs > In DLR mode, only the rings light up in my car not the inner lights

- They are part of the adaptive light system > Mine inner lights never come on during cornering/turning

- They are for Flash to Pass > My outer lights also function as Flash to Pass lights, inner lights do not turn on

I tried many things and I was about to conclude that, other than for the corona rings, these inner lights must be a "dummy" lights at least on the E9X cars equipped wit Bi-Xenons and Adaptive Lights. Then I got the damn things to come on... guess how? When you put the car in reverse gear, they light up... not very bright and more in a Halogen color temperature than a Xenon. Why in the world you would want an additional dim headlight to come on when you are reversing, I have no clue.

Adding to my confusion are some pictures of cars in this Forum that shows the inner headlight brightly lit up in Xenon Color temperature. No idea how they got them to do that - perhaps a mod?

I'd ove to hear your experiences. Mine is a 2008 E92 M3 with Angel iBright V3.0 corona ring bulbs. No other mods to the lighting system.

All wrong. They are cornering lights, they turn on when you turn the wheel enough in a direction. They also go on when you put the car in reverse...
Appreciate 0