SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCE92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Is it a six speed? If your gonna pull the motor/trans do the clutch and flywheel too. I wouldn't want to change the RB's motor in on jackstands or qj's. No side access and it'll be a drippy mess which you'll be laying in. More likely to make mistakes. It might take you 2-3x the hours to pull the motor but it would be less painful then laying on your back doing it.
Its a drippy mess regardless of jack stands, QJ or shop lift, remove oil pan and pick up tubes letting it drip out overnight and start the next day swapping shells. Use a creeper to roll around and not lay in oil. I think removing the whole front clip to remove engine out on jack stands is more likely to make a mistake somewhere. Just my .02
Difference is a mistake removing the front clip won't potentially cost you an engine. Changing the rod bearings from the bottom is a hoist job, kudos to anyone who has done it successfully on jack stands but you won't find any professional anywhere doing it that way. Plus I'd bet my bottom dollar that no one who has done it on jackstands has done It in a timely manner. Pulling the motor is definitely the long road home but if other things need addressing could be a fun experience.