View Single Post
      04-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #64
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Good to know. So I guess nothing needs to be reset at all then?
Based on my experiences (which I admit is a small sample space ), yes that appears to be the case. It immediately makes me wonder about the M5/M6/V10 crew. How many of them have done this swap in the garage I wonder? And have any of them been able to do it with no OBDII tools?

Quote:
Personally, I doubt this has anything to do with the part being banged up prior to going in the engine.
With that comment I was only referring to the cars that fail early. Yes, it could be that those just happen to fall victim to the flaw at a much earlier point. But again, this part is clearly high-precision/low-tolerance. It seems to me that it would be particularly susceptible to pre-installation damage. And it further seems to me that such damage could manifest itself as a shorter life span rather than immediate failure.

Quote:
IMHO, there's a design flaw that we just don't understand yet. I think it has something to do with fatigue, whether it's mechanical or electrical, I don't know. And some cars wear faster than others.
There is definitely a design flaw, I'd bet on that, and I'd also bet that it is mechanical. Although I am sure the OEM would defend that and point out that this is simply a very complex component that must be engineered to throw faults long before disastrous failure. And to some extent they'd have a point. I wonder if the race engines use this same part or if they have something simpler (they don't need cruise control, for example) and/or more durable? Or, do they have mechanical throttle linkage?
Appreciate 0